Monday, October 29, 2012

~Breakfast Casserole~

My husband, Richard, has a knack for running into interesting people at the gym. No pun intended. :)
This past week, he introduced me to a great healthy cookbook a fellow gym-er/ healthy eater told him about.
Many times, healthy recipes use ingredients I have never heard of, or complicate instructions (I have ADD when I'm in the kitchen; I need SIMPLE).
I looked through the new cookbook Richard brought home (Real Food, Real Fast!, by Eileen Vollmer), and did not sigh or groan. I think I'll actually enjoy making these recipes! 
Last night, I made a "High Energy Breakfast Casserole", since I thought having breakfast Sunday evening would be cool. Very yummy, and you can add whatever diced veggies you want, like chopped red pepper and/or mushrooms....anything you're trying to clean out of your fridge~  lol! :)

Here's Eileen Vollmer's website to check out more: http://www.eileenvollmer.com/real-food-recipes/

High Energy Breakfast Casserole
1 large bunch of kale or 8oz bagged, chopped kale [I, Sara, used spinach leaves]
1 TBS olive or grapeseed oil
2 shallots or 1/2 c onion
3/4 c grated cheese
10 cage free eggs
1/4 c milk or cottage cheese [I used cottage cheese]
sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 tsp any fresh herbs, like thyme or rosemary (I use Watkins spices)
optional: 4 slices nitrate free bacon, cooked very crisp
 
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8"x8" or 11"x7" glass casserole dish with cooking spray.
Heat oil in large frying pan. Add chopped onion, cook for 1 minute, then add the kale (or spinach :)) all at once. Use a spatula to turn until kale is wilted, about 4-5 minutes.
 
In casserole dish, layer kale, crumbled bacon (or other cut-up meat of your choice), and cheese.
Break eggs into bowl, season with sea salt, pepper, and seasoning, and beat eggs well with fork. Stir in milk or cottage cheese. Pour the egg mix over the kale-meat-egg mixture, then use the fork to stir gently until eggs are well-distributed in mixture.
 
Bake 22-25 minutes or until the casserole is set and top lightly brown.
Serve hot!!    :)
 
Very yummy! Enjoy!

No comments: