Friday, November 19, 2010

Pie pumpkins!

My son video taped me giving (and showing) step by step instruction on how to get the pumpkin out of pie pumpkins, but the video ended up too long to upload to this site! I've finally given up after hours of attempts- Ugh! Here's the written version:

*Getting the pumpkin out of pie pumpkins*
*First, you'll need to cut your pie pumpkin in half with a sharp knife. Don't worry, this really is the hardest part of the whole process.
*Next, clean all the seeds out, not worrying about removing all the strings (it's ok-- I promise).
*You will now place both pumpkin halves, cut side down, in a baking dish with about 1 1/2 cups of water. Place in a 200 degree oven, for about an hour and a half (maybe longer). Baking the pumpkin softens the shell so that you can cut it off!
*Take the pumpkin halves out of the oven and carefully cut the softened shell off. Cutting the pumpkin into quarters makes this task easier.
*Once all the shell is cut off, cut pumpkin into large sized cubes, and boil in a pan of water. Remove from heat when tender (but not mushy - don't overcook!).
*Drain pumpkin, then mash with potato masher.
*Fill blender half full with cooked pumpkin, and blend 'til smooth! This step takes care of all those strings, isn't it great? :) :) :)
* Measure 1 1/2 cups of pumpkin for your pumpkin pie recipes, filling quart sized freezer bags or going ahead and making your pies!!! I can usually get 2- 3 pies out of one pie pumpkin, depending on its size.

I have about 5 "pies" in my freezer, wondering if I should put up more pumpkin before pie pumpkins go out of season!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I made the silly mistake of not taking my medicine this morning since I had forgotten to pick up my refill from the pharmacy the day before ... crazy, crazy. I've decided this is not a good thing to repeat in the future. I've been in a cloud for most of the day- *yawn*, The kids had been sick for a couple of days this week, contributing to my forgetfulness to actually get in the vehicle and pick up the medicine!! Oh well ...

Tomorrow will be a better day ... with the meds taken as they should, along with my ability to think and remenber things more clearly (I hope so, anyway)! lol!

Here's a random photo to cheer me up- ;) Our daughter Ashlyn loves playing with her little friends, and I love this pic:

This photo was taken during Reformation night at church (October 31st)! :D

No comments: