Thursday, July 16, 2009

We ended up shopping in an upscale area ... I have to admit that we only went in a few stores. The children were all over the place, sitting on furniture, experimenting with products ... you would have thought my kids had never been in a store before! I decided to take them to Barnes & Noble, which proved to be a great choice!! My oldest detests reading, so going to a book store instead of a library was a good change of pace for him--it "tricked" him into reading, and he didn't even realize it. Hee, hee,hee ... (even though he's the one I faithfully took to story-times starting at age One, and worked through preschool work books to prepare for Pre K, etc., etc. All that work, and nothing to show for it).

On a more serious note, I am concerned about my oldests lack of interest in reading. He reads at our request, but he does the bare minimum. We have to make him read books ... literally placing them in his hands and saying, "Read these, please."
I discovered a Henry Huggins book in the trash the other day (at home). I couldn't believe my eyes! My oldest had thrown it away, hoping we wouldn't notice. *sigh*
Seeing how I've been raising all my children the same way (saturated in books), it's apparent children are born with their own unique personalities. :)
My oldest seems to love topics related to weather ... and that is what we encourage him to read. :) :) :)

No comments: