Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hi there! This weekend, we drove over to the Beverly, WV area so that I could look more into the CW history in the mountain area (s). It was all so interesting! :) :) We drove to several CW battle sites up in the mountains, and the scenery was so beautiful and breath-taking! Camp Allegheny had been a Confederate camp ground, and the Union army came to attack it on Dec. 13th, 1861. My gggrandfather was one of those Union soldiers who fought in that battle, but he never returned to Cheat mountain with the others. He was killed in battle. We drove 8 1/2 miles up a narrow, scary mountain road in order to view what's left of Camp Allegheny. There really wasn't much to see, except for ruins where the Confederate camp had been. There were signs that told the story, and explained where the camp was and where the Union army attacked. It had rained the morning of our visit, so it was slightly cloudy and damp outside; it was rather windy and cold, too. Visiting the Allegheny site in the middle of November....with the actual battle having taken place in December...it was a bit of an emotional experience for me with it being the same time of year [approx.]. I really could imagine what it must have been like to be a Union solder climbing up the steep mountain side (they had left the road about a mile away from the Confederate camp to climb through the forest), then standing at attention, waiting for the signal from General Milory to begin firing. I know that sounds very "Anne of Green Gable-ish", but it's true. I could "see" it all happening! I might share more later, but this is it for now (I left my notes in the hotel room; I'm in the computer room 8 floors away).
Today is a very special day! It's been 11 years since Richard proposed to me---and when I said YES!
It was November 16, 1997. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
I need to get off this hotel's computer now, and heat up some hot chocolate as a treat to celebrate our 11th year "proposal" anniversary. :) :) :) :)
Did I mention that it's snowing here in Morgantown, WV? The kids are very excited! :)

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Congrats on almost being 11 years. that's awesome. Glad your having fun. My hubby is on a hunting trip right now. I miss him terrible.