Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Keeping focused....

If you haven't done it yet---go vote!!!! We took advantage of the early voting last Thursday. We had to wait in line for 1 1/2 hours. I'm not sure if that means there are more people voting this election, or if everyone decided to vote early like us.
I am trying my best to stay focused on what I'm supposed to be doing..............I can't help but feel slightly overwhelmed with the fact that this coming Saturday we are leaving for WV...and that on Friday night, the boys are getting their scout popcorn in and attempting to deliver it to their customers before we leave on our trip (hmmm....I guess we didn't think this one through well).
I need to return to the library for a bit more info. concerning my gggrandpa who died in the civil war in WV....I'm planning out the sites/route we will visit when we go to the Allegheny site (in the middle of nowhere-- in the mountains). I hope Ashlyn doesn't get car sick! She's the one in our family who gets sick in the car when we drive on Missouri country roads). If you think I'm exaggerating....Ashlyn told me just a couple of days ago, "We are going on a trip? Yippy! Maybe I won't get sick this time." Our last trip to Missouri, however, she did not get sick while on the road! She got sick at grandma's house for whatever reason--we don't know for sure what--she just gets sick on trips. I need to visit Walgreens and get a motion sickness bracelet for her, just in case. It's worth a try!!! I certainly don't want to be thrown up on in the middle of the mountains (far away from restrooms, etc.). I also need to take our own bottled water, as we're thinking that other water (?) contributes to Ashlyn's travel sickness.
Oh!! I need to tell you that Ashlyn's carpet dried out nicely in 1 1/2 days, and now a plumbing guy is going to fix the pipe thingy on Thursday. The hole in the wall will have to stay there until we come back from our trip. I don't even know if Richard knows how to fix holes in walls. I'm a little worried..............................in case I didn't explain it well earlier, the hole in the wall was from the men cutting it open in order to get to the plumbing problem. I measured our walls just to see how thick they were (this hole in the wall was good opportunity to prove my point). We have 1 inch thick plaster (feels like cement when pounding a nail in--the nails just bend and fall out). In some places, it's a bit thicker than one inch. Come January, we will have lived with these cement walls for 4 years!
Okay. I realize you don't really want to know all of my business this week. Let's just say that I'm feeling the crunch. I must stay focused, I must stay focused.....
I know! I'll tell you how to get the pumpkin from real pie pumpkins!
  1. Cut open a pie pumpkin--this is the hardest part, I promise!
  2. Scoop out the seeds, but don't worry about removing all the stringy stuff
  3. place both pumpkin halves cut side down in a baking dish that has a little bit of water (not much--maybe 1 cup? I'd have to show you).
  4. Bake at 200 degrees for a little while (sorry, can't remember how long).
  5. The pumpkin shell will now be soft enough to cut off. Cut pumpkin shell off of pumpkin with sharp knife.
  6. On cutting board, cut pumpkin into medium size pieces, and boil in a pot of water until tender (but not mushy).
  7. Drain pumpkin pieces
  8. Place pumpkin pieces in blender, blend until smooth

Measure out 1 1/2 cups for one pumpkin pie!!!! If you need a recipe, let me know! Generally, one pie pumpkin produces two pumpkin pies. You can also freeze the 1 1/2 cup of pumpkin for a later time. Presently, my freezer in the garage is holding several freezer bags of pumpkin! I'm not sure if I should put up more pumpkin or not, or if I should cut this out of my stressful week .....we love pumpkin pie!

: ) : ) : ) : ) : ) : ) : : ) : ) : )

1 comment:

Christi said...

I might also add to this. You can save the seeds & rinse them off. Then put them on a lightly greased baking sheet & bake. I don't know how long. Just keep an eye on it. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Yummy roasted pumpkin seeds. My kids love them.